01 January 2015

Hello, 2015; Good Bye 2014

To say that 2014 has been a lot of unplanned adventures would be an understatement.  Since rejoining "real life," I frequently get the same questions.  I don't want to seem ungrateful or insincere because I really do appreciate the concern from friends and family.  So, if you are wondering, here's the answers:

  • How ARE you?
    • I'm doing well.  Overall I feel well and I have been told my recovery is as is should be.  the only issue is that if I catch cold or a bit of the flu, it totally messes with everything in my body and it feels like things quickly go to the extreme.
  • Are you back to normal?
    • I have NO idea.  The truth of the matter is that considering what was found once I was opened up, I'm not really sure what normal is or how long I was abnormal.  When I was first reconnected after the second surgery, I actually had a discussion with Mom on what is normal.  How many times are you supposed to be having a bowel movement?  I know that I had moments prior to my emergency room trips where I was having pain, but that wouldn't last very long.  What I was told by my doctor was that it could take one to two years before I am really back to normal.
  • Are you cured?
    • For now, yes.  Here's the fun of endometriosis, it can come back and there really isn't a sure fire cure.  You can do a hysterectomy, but if your doctor misses even a little speck of that endometriosis, that can spread and grow.  It may take female parts to start, but once it's in your body, it can spread on it's own.  Truth of the matter is it wasn't a shock to have the diagnosis or to need a surgery (a relief to finally get there).  It also won't be a shock if I have to go that route again, although I hope it won't be anywhere near what I went through this time.
  • Do you regret doing this?
    • I didn't like the time off I had to take, but I am so glad that I was finally able to get answers and move forward with my life.  I don't think I could have handled any more ER trips (neither could my responsible party).  I couldn't handle not having any control of what was going on with my own body.
And with that, we can do the 2014 highlight reel/lessons learned.
  1. The Ottleys welcomed two more adorable little girls to our family.  Russ and Shauntell welcomed Taylor Rachelle on 5 May.  Brian and Hollie welcomed Samantha Quinn on 12 October.  In case you hadn't guessed, they are both beautiful and amazing and we're thrilled to have them in our lives.
  2. Two of the Ottley grandkids made the decision to be baptized this year as Logan and Briley took that step.  It was wonderful to witness them taking this step and their understanding of what they were doing was pretty impressive.
  3. We ended the year by saying goodbye to one of the most amazing people I have had the pleasure of knowing as my sweet Grandma crossed the veil on 29 December.  I had the chance to spend the Christmas holiday with her and my Grandpa.  It was so difficult while also being so sweet.  Grandma would have moments of lucidity where she could talk and give us great advice.  Then there were times that she just wanted to leave, which times were the most difficult.  She was the fourteenth of sixteen kids and thirteen of her siblings had already passed, so I am convinced she had quite the welcome party.
  4. As I spent the time with my Grandparents and aunts over Christmas, I got to see the very best example ever of true love.  When my Grandma was able to get out to her chair in the living room, he would sit in his chair and just watch her, then every now and then, he'd stand up, walk over to her, and give her a kiss on her head.  It was such a simple act, but it said so much to me.
  5. Throughout the year, I've come to really understand and appreciate just how amazing our bodies are.  Just in my own, after I've had certain parts of my body taken out, I've had other parts of my body take on a new role.  I've watched my own body heal in ways I never thought were possible - or never even stopped to think about.  Then, watching my Grandma die and her body shut down, I was once again amazed.  With her body doing that, while it was hard to watch, it meant she wasn't in pain, which was what was absolutely the most important thing ever.
  6. I've always known, but it was once again brought about, I have the most incredible and amazing family.  We had a big reunion in May, or maybe it was June, almost all of the Clark family was there.  We didn't have fights going on.  We didn't worry about whether or not we would offend someone by what we said or did.  We just got together and enjoyed each other's company.  On a smaller note (my Grandparents had six kids who gave them twenty-two grandkids who are currently at fifty-five great-grandkids with two more on the way), when we get together as the Ottley family, we know we are going to have a good time.  There will be laughs and memories made.  I am so glad this can and will continue.
  7. I don't have the words to express my continued and ongoing love and appreciation for my Savior.  I know that I can't do so many things on my own, even though I try.  I know I make mistakes and that I can't make it with out him.  When I've been struggling through pain, no matter what that pain may be, I find comfort in knowing He is there and He will never leave me alone.
I thought I'd try to do 14 things for the year 14, but truly I'm drawing blanks, not because I haven't had more lessons or that I don't have more things to be grateful for, only that I'm not sure that I want to keep going and continuing to bring on the tears that have already started to come.

What I know is that we are now getting a new year and that there are unwritten and unknown promises waiting for each one of us.  No one knows what tomorrow brings, but I know there are great things in store and the trick is letting those great things come into our lives.

A few of the ultimate blessings in my life
Taylor Rachelle
Samantha Quinn
Logan was baptized this year.
Briley was baptized (and apparently mastered the selfie)
Grandma and Grandpa's piano is the first thing you see when you enter their home.  On it they keep pictures of all their grandchildren and their families
This little guy, Tyson, just seems to know when you need a love.  Again, he's got a piece of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment