30 December 2013

Celebrating the holidays

What good would a new, updated blog be without mention of the holidays.  I know that I am pretty biased, but I really do have a great family and it was wonderful to once again spend some time with them.  As usual, we had the Ottley family Christmas party right before Christmas.  Between snow, sickness, and choirs there was a little bit of a round robin thing going on, but we did eventually get most of the family there.  Sorry, we missed you once again, Jen and Will.  Of course, we had to start off with yummy food before going into some of the games.  I'm not entirely sure where Russ gets his ideas for these games, but we were well entertained!

It would not be an Ottley family Christmas party without the newspaper and dice game.  I don't know what else to call it.  We did it in two rounds: first the kids, then the adults.  Apparently, the rule for this game is double digits equals adults and, therefore, having to use the oven mitts to open the presents.  I think it was a bit of a surprise that our most competitive was actually Aimee.   

Kids Turn:


Getting ready!
In the throws of the game.
Showing off the prizes
Then the adults got into it!


I don't know what any of the names for these games were, or how we decided kids and adults.  But next we went fishing for candy canes:

To make it more difficult for the grown ups, we had to have the fishing poles in our mouths:


Promise I did do the fishing according to the rules.
Sucking the marshmallows and putting them into the bowl may not seem hard, but when you are going every round, first round trying to help the three-year-old, you really do get very lightheaded by the end of three rounds.
Of course, there had to be a little bit of time to just do a quick pose with one of our sweeties!
Kids got to use two hands for their pyramids and adults could only use one.  As you can see, we definitely have some personality in our family!

This was definitely our favorite game.  Using ping pong balls, you have to bounce them in order to hit the Styrofoam balls off the cups.  While it may not be as easy as it sounds, it's definitely easier than it was made.  No matter what we did, no matter the coaching, we could not seem to get Mom to get the hang of it, which provided us with great amounts of laughter.  I was wiping tears away.

Even the three-year-old could do it!




This is very serious competition.


Sometimes you just need a break!
Final game of the night was making our Rudolph antlers.  Zach, AJ, and I rocked this one!

I love Jordyn's face here.  She's not really sure what to think of her first Christmas, and first outing to Grandma and Grandpa's.
All four finished products.  We are a unique bunch, and we are quite alright with that.
After games, it was time for lunch.  I had helpers making my dip.  As I'd give them stuff to pour into the bowl, Tyson started giving me a crisp salute and a "Yes, Sir."  Brooklyn's salute wasn't quite as crisp, but just as cute.

Hoping this little wicked grin doesn't last long.    




And, of course, there were presents:



Loved watching these two together.   Logan really does look up to his cousin, Zach.



Cam comforting his big sister, Maya, who was not feeling top notch.
I had to come back home so I could do the Christmas program at church, which I must say turned out so very phenomenal.  I couldn't be more proud of my little choir.  The responses from the congregation were great, so I don't feel like I'm being too biased there.  I have to admit, when I initially got the call to be the choir director again, I'm not sure I was too excited about it, but as I've been able to look at music and start rehearsals, it's just been so much fun.  I love music and I love being able to share my feelings about the Savior through music.  OK, so there may be a little bit of a power trip as I realize "I am in charge," but it's mostly the other stuff.

I went back up to Mom and Dad's the next Monday.  I had to laugh as I was told by Mom that they deserted me.  I don't feel that way.  On Christmas Eve they had their brothers and sisters brunch to attend.  They had to leave early on Christmas day because Grandma had what feels like a super early chemo session the following day, so it was easier to leave then.  I'm thinking both things were very important and I am an adult who knows how to be on her own, but I can see where they might feel guilty.

Christmas Eve, Russ and family invited us to join them for a little bit of a program.  Of course, we had to play the ping pong ball game again.  Mom's skills did not improve, which meant our entertainment did improve.  We introduced Shauntell's parents to the game as well.  Once again, tears were rolling.

Cam enjoying his sixlets.



After a very yummy dinner, we were able to participate in a wonderful program.  We had piano performances from Zach and AJ, then listened to a very cute rendition of the Christmas story that the kids got to act out.  (Yes, I got to have the very important role of the star, but didn't get any pictures of my glorious skills.)

Russ's ugly sweater





So, maybe Cam didn't quite get into the Christmas story, but he really enjoyed the costume box.

The highlight of the evening was the big reveal.  The Ottley family decided to go ahead and open the gender reveal present tonight while the grandparents were with them.  They will be adding a little girl in April.  We're very excited to meet her.  And, if Cam's head shakes with me are to be believe, he and Taylor are best friends, he's excited to see her again, and they are both mischief makers.

My final holiday thing was attending the Desert Star Playhouse with the roommate.  We, once again, bought our season tickets.  While the show was cute again, we got extra entertainment when the poor waitress tripped down the stairs next to us.  Poor Mandy had a waterfall of sodas and fruit punch down her leg.  (The fruit punch seemed like it was going in slow motion.)  Of course, it was right during a sentimental portion of their Oleo.  We may never be able to hear, "It Must Have Been the Mistletoe" without laughing.  Plus, we got some pretty crusty looks from people around us who didn't know what had happened and didn't think we should be laughing.  Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment