01 January 2014

14 for 14

We'll do a couple quick "14" lists for the new year.  Starting with fourteen things you may or may not know about me (really I think that I'm pretty open, so I don't really think anything should come as a big surprise).

About Me:
  1. Thanks to my baby brother, I've answered to Weed since I was eight.  When he was learning to talk, for whatever reason, he got the n's in everyone elses' names, but I became Weedy and it's just been shortened over the years.  It used to really bother me, to the point of tears, when anyone outside of my family would use the term, but I'm good now.  It just takes some explaining sometimes.
  2. I am a journal writer.  If I've counted correctly, I just started my twentieth journal and I find a great sense of accomplishment when I finish one and joy when I get to start a new one.  My dad actually bought me my first journal on a temple trip to the Frankfurt Temple when we were living in Berlin when I was twelve.  Admittedly, it took me a long time to get that going, but now I feel anxious if I'm not up to date.
  3. I love to cook.  I don't necessarily remember my Mom sitting me down and teaching me how to cook, but I know I watched and observed.  It used to be a huge stress reliever to bake and cook, but then I would also lose my appetite when I was stressed, so a lot of food would go to waste that way.
  4. I don't understand the joy people find in running.  I enjoy exercising and can walk for miles on end (and I do tend to walk at a pretty brisk pace), but as soon as a break into a jog it becomes miserable and the first thought that comes to my head is "Just shoot me now."    That and when I watch people running, I don't think they ever look like they are having fun.  Maybe it's just me.
  5. I don't necessarily like reading history, but living history is a completely different story.  If I know I am going somewhere, I love reading about some of it's history and making it more real.  I like buying books from the places I go, about the places I go.  That kind of history is wonderful to me.  
  6. I love traveling and would love to do a world cruise or something like that.  Ultimately on my wish list of places to go is Australia.  I'd love to go back to Berlin to see all of the changes there and go back to Jerusalem and do a longer tour there than the day I was able to spend there.
  7. I always knew I would grow up and do something working with kids.  I always figured I'd be a teacher or maybe child care.  Being a social worker, never even crossed my mind as an option.  Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure when I realized what a social worker does and how much hard work it is, but how rewarding it is as well.
  8. I currently have ten nieces and nephews (with one on the way), who I would do just about anything for.  I love spending time with them.  It's the ultimate compliment to me when my brothers and their wives are willing to let me spend time on my own with them.  However, sometimes spending the time with them makes me think that I'm really stupid because they are really smart.  I think they are coming to us super smart now and I'm not entirely sure I can keep up with them.
  9. The only time I've been skiing was when we bought some skis in former East Berlin and was able to ski down the hill we lived on in Wiesbaden.  I'm just fine with that being my only experience with this.  I have a hard enough time walking and not falling.  The idea of strapping two boards to my feet and going down the slopes at high speeds does not fit my idea of a good time in any way, shape or form.  Plus, I hate being cold.
  10. The only stitched I've ever had a surgery related.  Unfortunately, I feel like I've had more than my fair share of surgeries that have required them.  I have cut myself pretty good (the "best" time was when I cut myself while cutting limes, so I not only got to bleed, but I got to have the immediate sting of the lime juice as well), but band-aids have been sufficient to handle them.
  11. Even though my closet doesn't reflect it, I hate shoe shopping.  I tend to like to be in and out when shopping and I have to take time and try on shoes.  If I am in the mood for shoe shopping, I tend to buy multiple pairs.  If I happen to find shoes that I like, I am likely to buy them in every color.  When I find boots that fit over my calves, I feel like I've had a small victory.  I laugh when I think about the first time a doctor ever put me on any kind of physical restriction was when I was eight and having such a hard time walking because my feet hurt so bad.  I was told I was having growing pains.  I'm not sure my feet really got that memo because I can shop in the children's section.
  12. I love learning and think about going back to school, but taking tests and writing papers hold no thrill for me.  I guess this is where the reading comes in.
  13. I am very patriotic, but not at all political.  It's very easy for me to say I hate politics, but am I love my country.  I'm so proud of the military heritage I have in my life.  I think the USA is pretty amazing.
  14. For some odd reason, I really like frogs and lions.  Not the real thing, but bric-a-brac, stuffed animals, cute pictures.  I think they are really cute and there really isn't any realistic rhyme or reason as to why.
14 Favorite Things:
For some reason, I've been on a real French Onion dip and chips kick lately.  It's also pretty good with Wheat Thins when the chips run out.  Overall, I do tend to be a fan of dips in general, but this is what I've been craving for now.
 I love reading.  Now with the Kindle and all the different ways there are to access it, I can truly say that I'm never without a book.  I do have the Kindle Fire and the Paperwhite.  I think they both have their advantages.  It's very dangerous to not have to turn on a light in order to read now.
When I spent time with Jen and Will last year, Will introduced me to juicing.  I think it's a very quick and easy way to get your fruits and veggies in for the day, plus it's kind of fun to do - or maybe I'm just very easily entertained. 
I never thought that I would actually own a video game system, but I do.  I've thought about switching to the XBox to use their Kinect system, but I stick with this.  I really enjoy doing to workout videos and the Fit.  Plus, I like the fact that it tracks where I'm going with it as well as where I've been.
 And, the obsession continues.  I think I'm getting a little bit better here.  My friend, Marcia, and I are starting our fifth year as season ticket holders.  I've decided this is a great stress reliever for me as I can yell and just really get it out of my system.  I'm interested to see how the next season goes with a new coach.
So have to thank Aimee for introducing me to this.  It's the electric mattress pad instead of blanket.  It just makes the bed so nice to climb into.  I like having my room a little chilly, but I get cold so easily.  Plus, we've discovered that my bedroom is the coldest room in our apartment, so that just makes it that much better in my little cave.
I love music and always love having it going.  Apparently I'm not a huge fan of silence.  Since the speakers/radio in my car have decided not to really work, having my little Ipod ready to travel is great. I've been with the Zune, but that seems to be obsolete now and they are focusing on their phones or something.  I mainly just want something that I know will work and I don't have to keep figuring it out.
 Discovering I could order these was just a little bit more of a treat and made me feel a little bit more like I was at home.  There are some gummi strawberries that I remember eating while living there and I wish that I could find them, but either my memory has really made them to be out to be something special or they don't exist.
Life is just better with chocolate and, in my mind, Lindor, is just about the best there is.  There's a reason I don't buy it too often, mainly that it doesn't last too long around me.
 I love going to Time Out for Women.  I always leave inspired.  There's really only been one set of speakers that I've actually not enjoyed, but I was kind of expecting that since I didn't really enjoy their book either.  It's always just the pick me up that I need.

I shouldn't like Amazon near as much as I do.  I've been able to find some great deals and really like the fact that I don't have to leave my home in order to do so.

 Mom introduced me to the Fit Bit.  It's a more intense pedometer so to speak.  They actually have two newer ones that are bracelets that I want to look into and will probably end up with at some point in time because they aren't as awkward with the clothing as a pedometer and they are waterproof, which is a great thing.


I have a slight addiction to jewelry.  It's really not a good thing that Charming Charlie has now opened up close to me. There's something about being able to change up an outfit quickly with the new accessories.
Have I mentioned I like reading.  This is where having the Kindle has come in handy.  I've actually gotten rid of a lot of books during my last move, and probably need to do so again.  I've been collecting forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment