17 January 2014

Heroes and Villains

For whatever reason, I've been thinking a lot about heroes and what the world seems to look at for that.  My opinion, the world tends to put the wrong people up on the pedestals.  I can honestly say that I've never seen an episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and don't feel like I've missed out on anything.  From what I've read and seen in magazines, I don't understand what the big deal is there.  Credit for what the money they've been able to create and the "kingdom" they have been able to build, but their focus in life is definitely different than mine. 

In the soccer world, David Beckham for a long time was the go to guy to admire and look up to.  Here's my thing with him, as a player, I can't stand him.  In fact, he's the only player I've ever booed.  But as a family man, I really think he's doing something right.  I read recently about him reffing one of his son's soccer games and actually calling the foul on his son and giving the other team the penalty.  His son was not happy with him, but I was cheering and thinking "that's the way to do it."

The world has such a variety of people saying we should look up to and should respect.  Some people, I can see why.  Others I just think there's something big missing there.  I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.  One of my favorite interviews ever was Bo Jackson on The Tonight Show (okay, it's been a while).  He was in the middle of contract negotiations, which are going to be worth millions.  He made the statement that he thought that was ridiculous and that the real money should be going to teachers and professions like that.  My respect for him went up leaps and bounds, however, I am sure he didn't turn down the millions he was offered.

So, here's my thoughts.  I come from an amazing family with so many people to look up to and to admire.  I don't have any issue with referring to any of them as my heroes, for various reasons, not the least of which is their ability to love and appreciate me for who I am while trying to help me become better.  None of us are overly wealthy in the things of the world, but I like to think there's more than enough love and plenty of what is needed.

I don't have the most recent pictures of my Mom's family - and can't seem to find any of my Dad's.  But the main thing there would be my Grandparents.  I'm not sure how long for sure Grandma and Grandpa Ottley were together prior to their deaths, but I do know it was over fifty years.  I just think that's absolutely amazing.  They were faithful to each other.  They loved their kids unconditionally, and while I didn't always agree with the words of wisdom, I do appreciate that they would give them to me.  Grandma and Grandpa Clark have been together for over sixty years.  They've raised six kids and are still amazing examples of love and devotion to their kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.  They've been active and faithful in their callings and set such great examples of what life could be and should be.  I hate the idea of losing them, although I know that it's a possibility, and looking more and more like a reality.

I've been so blessed to call these guys my Mom and Dad.  I know I've given them a run for their money, but they've never given up on me.  Dad's been there two careers and they are now venturing into retirement together.  Dad has said many times that he can't imagine any other woman being willing to pick up their life and follow him around the world with the military for twenty years.  I'm glad he didn't try.  Dad hasn't always been able to talk about his jobs, but he has always been able to provide for us.  Mom will drop anything and everything for her kids.  When Jen first got her breast cancer diagnosis, Mom left her job and went to Georgia for time unknown, without a thought about where she needed to be - and Dad supported her.  She started working when she knew she needed to, but it was never her priority to be out of the home.  The two of them went to more than their fair share of sporting events, concerts, etc., and now they are doing it again with their grandkids.  I just couldn't ask for anything more to look up to and admire.


 What an amazing big sister I have!  She and Will have made their life together, away from us for most of their marriage, which, if nothing else has given me wonderful places to visit.  I love that I always know where I stand with Will.  I love knowing how much he cares for Jen and that he becomes kind of a teddy bear where she's concerned.  Jen has definitely given him a run for his money where her health has been concerned, but he's stood by her.  The military was good for them and now they get their new adventure with is new job.  Through most of their moves, I think Jen was trying to set records for being in a new ward and getting called into the Young Women's but now they get to work together with the Singles' Ward.  Jen's been up to whatever challenges the Church throws at her.  I admire her creativity.  It's because of her that I can say that I've laid wood floors, and don't care if I ever do it again.  I wish she lived closer for so many reasons, but I love going out to Virginia to spend time with them.

I don't know that we could have prepared Shauntell completely for the challenges she'd have with Russ.  Heck, I don't think we were prepared.  Brother having a car land on his head is not something I ever thought would be a possibility.  Russ has found a few things he loves doing and is able to provide for his family doing them.  If you need a car fixed, he's definitely your man.  Although, it's not always the most convenient since he's two hours away from me.  He makes the most amazing cakes.  He has always had kind of a random sense of humor, but it's really translated into some really fun games for us to play at our Christmas parties.  Shauntell married young and is absolutely amazing.  She's talented and willing to look for the new adventures.  She knows what's important and how to focus on that.  She and Russ are raising four amazing kids, with one more joining them in the not too distant future.
 You don't have to doubt where you stand with Brandon.  I don't know that I will ever forget him introducing our family while speaking in Church and saying that he was the shining star in the family.  Take that for what you will.  Maybe the point blank isn't for everyone, but I think it's great. I love that he and Aimee are making their own niche in their families and creating their own traditions.  His adventures working at the jail are hilarious - although I could do without him trying to blow himself up in their fire drill and being their practice dummy for the tasers, but that's him.  If you need electrical work, he's there for you.  He's traveled to practice his skills.  Aimee is probably one of the most organized people you will ever meet.  I have my moments, but totally wish I was more like her in that area.  She's teaches music, whether guitar (currently) or piano (in the past), just to add a little bit to the household.  I love that she adores reading as much as I do and we can, and often do, compare and share things we've loved.  They are raising three amazing kids - that definitely keep their hands full.
 It may have taken Brian a little bit longer to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up, but he's doing it.  He and Hollie work together and provide for their family.   Brian is always there for you.  I think between the work he's done on people's homes, the brothers figured out they may owe him a house.  I think he's pretty laid back, which can actually be very calming for me as I can be a bit high-strung, and possibly a little dramatic.  I envy Hollie's knowledge and understanding of computers.  Blogging is about as creative as I get with that.  I've seen pictures of the amazing costumes she's made for her kids and am amazed at the time and patience there.  Their three kids are adorable and totally make me laugh whenever I'm around them.

Like I said, I count myself blessed with so many wonderful people in my life to look up to, but I think one of the main reasons I do admire each and everyone of them is their connection and testimonies of Him:
I learn so much from them about my Savior and how He would want me to be.  I think that's the underlying common theme of everyone I admire, whether they are of my faith or not.  He is my ultimate hero and I just don't have the words to truly express why.  He loves me.  He knows me and what I can become.  He has created the path to allow this.  He wants my success.  He has shown me what to emulate and how, even in very tough circumstances.  He is there to take my hand and lead me and possibly push from behind when needed.  I just can't imagine anyone better to call my ultimate Hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment