I've told myself that I need to be more open to opportunities to serve. When you put that out into the universe, you are immediately provided with the hoped for opportunities. One of the great things about belonging to a ward is that there are always ways to help out. I've been very selfish with my Saturdays and what I will make myself available for. The only reason there is laziness and not wanting to get dressed, truly. So, I'm trying to change that. As soon as I said that, there were needs that needed to be met. The first Saturday, I got notice that there was a funeral in the world where they needed help with set up and serving. That was a good experience just to see people come together and help others in a time when there are just things a family doesn't want to be thinking about. The following week, I received a semi-panicked message about needing a pianist the following day for a baptism. It so took me back to my missionary days, especially as initially this little girl seemed to be too scared to go into the water for the baptism. What a wonderful spirit! I am so grateful that I was able to play a small part in her big day.
I have to put this out there. Call it pride or whatever you want, but it's time to do a bit of bragging. I get to be in charge of the ward choir and after what I consider a wonderful Christmas program, we were invited to sing each month. So, as we got up to sing again this month, I was excited about it. I was even more excited by the comments I received after about how good the choir sounded and the spirit they brought to the meeting. Here's the truth of it. Yes, I get to choose the songs and wave my arms in front of them, but it's the choir that's really doing the hard work and bringing in the Spirit. I am so happy to be a part of this and it's just a wonderful experience. Thank you to all participating.
While being vague, because that's what I have to do with my job, I will say there are definite highs and lows there. The biggest frustration this month has been the lack of follow through. Unfortunately, I'm talking about some of the professionals that I get to work with. I think that's more frustrating than anything. If you say you're going to get something done, please do. That's what it all boils down to, in my eyes. I got to do a super quick trip out to New York, really just the airport, to take two kids out to live with their grandmother. That's always an interesting experience, but I'm glad to do it, even though it makes for a very long day.
We had one family birthday this month, Russ. I don't think I could have asked for a better big brother. I love watching him with his kids and seeing the joy he takes in family life. I'm totally jealous and proud of his amazing cake decorating skills (if you wonder what I'm talking about, check out www.cakemechanic.blogspot.com). He's just an overall great guy. He's got a wicked sense of humor and is usually in charge of the games for our family party, which gives us a lot of extra entertainment. We're pretty sure his guardian angel is ready to retire given some of the experiences he's had, but I hope he keeps with him for a very long time. My only complaint is that with his amazing mechanic skills, he lives two hours away from me so he's not the most available in my emergency car situations. However, he'll tell you that's my fault for living where I live instead of closer to him. Guess that's true.For my study this month, I've been doing a few things, but one of the things I've done is to take the attributes from 12 Gifts for Christ by Merilee Boyack. This months attribute was personal knowledge. Here's the gift tag introduction to it from the book: "As we ponder the sweet baby Jesus, let us also ponder the living Jesus - our brother, our friend. Let us study to know Him. Hear His voice. And as we learn of Him, our love for Him will continue to grow until we can say: I love the Savior. I am His friend."
This was a wonderful way to start the new year off, by increasing my personal knowledge about the Savior and His mission for me (each of us really, but this is the personal part). I got to teach Relief Society this month and it fit right in there as it was on Jesus Christ. I just think that it's a great focus. There are so many great articles and testimonies about the Savior and each one strengthens my own. Jesus Christ was and is there for me personally. He knows who I am and what I can become and is cheering me all along the way. I just don't think you could ask for a better friend than that. He wants us to come to Him and return to Him. He wants us to continue to better ourselves and inherit everything that His Father has. I think the best summary of all was given by my niece. After watching her bounce all around the house I asked her why she was so happy. Her response: "Because Jesus loves me." It just doesn't get any better than that, does it.

No comments:
Post a Comment