05 April 2014

The Latest List

Book Club 1 - "Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back."

I was looking forward to reading this because I had heard good things about it. End result, wasn't the biggest fan.  I admit it was very thought provoking, but I felt like it just ended, which always annoys me. 
Book Club 2 - "In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

"During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her."


Another book I'd heard much about.  I liked it, but haven't been in any hurry to finish the trilogy and don't know that I will.  Don't know if I'll see the movie either.  I can't even tell you what it was that I did or didn't like or that didn't draw me in.  It's another interesting situation with the expectations of being a certain class/label, which we see in life today although hopefully not to this extreme, and how that shapes people and society.  I guess overall I don't really have much to say about it.

General Authority - “As you seek spiritual knowledge, search for principles,” counsels Elder Richard G. Scott. “Principles are concentrated truth, packaged for application to a wide variety of circumstances.”

"In this exciting book, Elder Scott offers 21 principles distilled from his life experiences. These “concentrated truths” will help you understand more fully how to be guided by the Spirit. Elder Scott's brief explanations open the way for your own discovery and exploration.

“I bear witness that Jesus Christ knows you personally,” Elder Scott writes. “He will provide answers to every difficult problem in your life as you trust Him and do all you can to understand and apply His doctrine and strive to live by the Spirit.” 21 Principles will be a valuable tool in that quest."


I've had this on my shelf for a bit and I am so glad that I've finally read it.  It was so comforting and such a great reminder of what we have for available for us and just waiting for us.  In case you are wondering, the 21 principles are:
  1.  The Savior's injunction to "ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" (3 Nephi 27:29) is a gate to spiritual guidance.  I learned that gentle promptings will encourage  to make the right decisions.  When carefully observed, these gentle impressions to our heart can be followed by specific counsel given to our mind.  That counsel leads us to know what to do with greater precision.
  2. The scriptures teach, and I have been led to confirm, that we will never be prompted by the Holy Ghost to do something we cannot do.  It may require extraordinary effort and much time, patience, prayer, and obedience, but we can do it.
  3. Repeatedly I have been impressed to learn that to reach a goal never before attained, one must do things never before done.
  4. I have learned that our mind can strengthen an impression of the Holy Ghost or sadly, can totally destroy it by casting it out as something unimportant or the product of our imagination.
  5. I have been taught that we can make many choices in life, but we cannot choose our final destiny.  Our actions do that.
  6. When facing adversity, we can be led to ask many questions.  Some of them serve a useful purpose; others do not.  It really does no good to ask questions that reflect opposition to the will of God.  Accepting His will, even when it is not fully understood, brings great peace and, over time, understanding.
  7. I have been led through personal experience to understand an important truth: I know Satan has absolutely no power to force a determined, righteous individual because the Lord protects that person from him.  Satan can tempt; he can threaten; he can attempt to appear to have such power; but he does not possess it.
  8. It is sometimes very hard to discern an answer to prayer for a matter for which we have very deep personal feelings or something which causes strong emotions to arise within us.  That is why it is important to receive valid, inspired counsel when one finds himself or herself in such a circumstance.
  9. On occasion the Lord will give us vital spiritual guidance by inspiring others to share what they have learned.  Such mentors can greatly enrich our lives through thoughtful communication of their knowledge and experience.
  10. I have been taught by the Holy Spirit, and by observing others, that concepts like faith, prayer, love, and humility hold no great significance and produce no miracles until they become a living part of the individual through his or her own experience, aided by the sweet promptings of the Spirit.
  11. Adversity is a part of life.  We will all have it because we need to for growth and for the forging of our righteous character.  I have learned that the Lord has a consummate capacity to judge our intent.  He is concerned about what we are becoming by the choices we make.  He has an individual plan for each of us.
  12. When I contemplate the access to the limitless power granted by the Lord to worthy men through the priesthood, I am in awe of His extraordinary kindness.  I marvel that He is so benevolent as to grant mere men such a supernal blessing.
  13. I know what it is to love a daughter of God who with grace and devotion served with the full feminine splendor of her righteous womanhood.  Father in Heaven well knows women are the compassionate, self-sacrificing, loving power that binds together the human family.
  14. A happy marriage results from making correct choices prayerfully together.  It can transform a house into a place of heaven on earth.
  15. The Spirit has taught me that Satan doesn't have to tempt us to do bad things - he can accomplish much of his objective by distracting us with many acceptable things, thus keeping us from accomplishing the essential ones.
  16. One of the most memorable and powerful patterns of communication by the Spirit is through dreams.  I have learned that when the transition from being fully asleep to being fully awake is almost imperceptible, it is a signal that the Lords has taught something very important through a dream.
  17. Sincere love has the potential to exercise power far beyond our limited understanding of love.
  18. Satan's temptations are as a two-edged sword - we can be overcome by them or we can resist and gain strength until we declare, "Get thee behind me, Satan."
  19. In a quiet moment of pondering, I learned that there is a relationship between faith and character.  The greater our faith in Jesus Christ, the stronger our character, and increased character enhances our ability to exercise even greater faith.
  20. Forced obedience yields no enduring fruit.  That is why both our Father in Heaven and the Savior are willing to entreat, to prompt, to encourage, and to patiently wait for us to recognize precious spiritual guidance from Them.
  21. It is important not to judge ourselves by what we think we know of our own potential.  We should trust the Lord and what H can do with our dedicated heart and willing mind (see D&C 64:34).
Such wonderful counsel.  So great to know that this is applicable to each and everyone of us.  We truly are not alone. Reality Check - "Candace Cameron Bure first became known to millions as a co-star on the hit ABC television series Full House. Today, like her brother Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains, Fireproof), she is the rare Hollywood actor who is outspoken about her Christian faith and how it helps overcome certain obstacles.

"Bure’s healthy lifestyle has been featured in US Weekly and People magazines as well as national talk shows including The View and NBC’s Today. In Reshaping It All, she continues the story, inspiring women to embrace a healthier lifestyle by moving faith to the forefront, making wise choices, and finding their worth in the eyes of God. Candace shares a candid account of her struggle with food and ultimately her healthy outlook on weight despite the toothpick-thin expectations of Hollywood.

"More than a testimony, here is a motivational tool that will put readers on the right track and keep them there. In addition to practical advice, Candace offers a biblical perspective on appetite and self control that provides encouragement to women, guiding them toward freedom.

Includes 16-page black and white photo insert."


I have a lot of respect for the Cameron family.  Being in Hollywood and standing up for your Christian beliefs I think takes a great deal of courage.  I loved that Candace used her faith as a focus in achieving a healthy lifestyle for herself and her family.  Yes, I do think that she looks amazing and has a fantastic body, but I also think she's putting forth the effort in a correct many that can be looked up to and doing it for the correct reasons and not because it's what society says she should look like or be doing.  There wasn't anything that I felt like were huge aha moments, but it was good to read something from another perspective on what I'm looking at for myself this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment